Wednesday, November 25, 2009

alternative parenting

when Mason gets in big trouble he generally gets a time out. Occassionally, he gets spankings when we catch him doing something that could essentially hurt himself. Lately timeouts seem more like poutty time for him. He sits there and pouts. I've been trying to be creative with discipline.

Since he's been waking up SUPER early and sneaking around the house. As soon as I hear him, I've been trying to jump out of bed to make sure he's not causing trouble.
Sunday morning he beat me to it. I didn't hear him when he first woke up, he went/snuck into Gavin's office which is OFF limits. He found a pair of sharp pliers and went into Gavin's tool box & took out a long sharp drill bit. As soon as I heard him & walked out of our room into the playroom i saw the drill bit on the playroom floor. Thank the LORD he didn't hurt himself with it, or the cat or dog either. First I made sure he didn't hurt himself, Then I spanked him, sent him to time out & then scolded him. The punishment that got him the most- NO cartoons for the entire day.
That was genius. He asked all day to watch cartoons & I just asked him, "No, do you remember why you can't watch them today?" Sure enough, he remembered all day. Mommy: 1, Mason: 0. so maybe he was ahead in the beginning, but I shut that game down! ;-p
This morning, he came into our room at about 6:30 am & crawled into bed. (Score, more sleep!) a few minutes later he wanted his lovie & tractor so he got down to go get them. He was gone maybe 2 minutes. He comes back in & gave himself a beard. WITH. MY. MASCARA. are you kidding? He knows that only Mommies wear make up. He knew he did something wrong and asked to wash it off. I said, "NO. if you're going to wear make up like Mommy, then you have to wear it all day." thankfully we only went to the bank today. But both Mimi & Papa & Rilee came by today, so he got to explain why he had a beard.

I fully plan on nipping this phase in the butt!


No comments: