Mason is still pretty badly broken out in hives still, but his face is getting a little better, feeling alot softer and starting to appear normal. I figured they probably have to get worse before getting better, hopefully thats soon!
I decided if Mason had to eat gluten free- then thats how we're going to have it in our house. I decided it wouldn't be fair to Mason to see Gavin and I eating some great things that he can't enjoy. Yes we'll still have some normal stuff, but overall it needs to be things he can enjoy too. Today I sent Mason to school with his own lunch since at school they were having chicken nuggets (i'm 99.9% sure there's wheat flour in the breading) so Mason went with Grilled Chicken, corn, dried apple chips and gluten free mac n cheese. Not sure how well lunch went over, but they said he ate a decent amount.
After taking him to school this morning, I headed out to Sprouts in Southlake to check out what they had. They had some GREAT produce. So i decided I deprived Mason long enough from his beloved fruit (thats what we thought his reaction was to last week) so I loaded up on Strawberries, Grapes, Watermelon, Cantelope and Tangelos (and WOW are their Tangelos PeRfEcT! so sweet!) I've never spent so long grocery shopping! I knew it wouldn't be cheap since I was buying staples to keep in the fridge and pantry. I spent So long reading labels!! Guess I'll be a label reader now. I did find myself a yummy (AND healthy) new snack that I love! Roasted, Toasted, Salted peas are really good! Thanks Stephanie for telling me about Sprouts! Then I headed to Costco to find more of his dried apple and pear chips (thanks to Heidi for finding those!) but unfortunately they were out. So I headed home to put away groceries and then off to the gym. Sadly, my trip to the gym never happened, I spent an hour & half organizing the fridge and pantry with our new groceries and basically went thru EVERYTHING Mason cant eat, what was worth keeping for Gavin & I and what was just being junked. After all that I was hungry, so I ate lunch (a VERY non healthy gluten filled corn dog! LOL) got some computer work done and then headed to pick up Mason from school. So much for really getting much done! I did however, cook our FIRST gluten Free Family meal tonight!! I made Chicken Alfredo WITH Pasta! The Pasta was Mrs. Lenner's vegetable rice pasta- it was pretty good. The Alfredo sauce packet I picked up was gluten free and then added some chicken. It was pretty good and Mason LOVED IT! I've figured out that finding gluten free things is easy, BUT finding things that doesnt have egg white OR soybeans is becoming a little challenging, so I know it'll get easier once i familiarize myself with label reading. Maybe once we go to the allergist we'll find out the severity of each allergy as well and allow small doses of one or 2 into his diet. we'll find out soon I guess, I do feel relief knowing what was causing such a bad reaction, now its just making sure it doesnt happen again!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
wow - I know this whole allergy thing has to be tough. Good luck...the upside is that you guys will probably be all healthy now too! I am wanting to check out the greatness of Sprouts sometime soon too. I hear it's grrreat!
Post a Comment