Monday, April 7, 2008
Cold Turkey!
So we're going cold turkey on bottles!! Currently Mason gets a naptime bottle and bedtime bottle. Dr. O said no more bottles at 18 months (I know some say as early as 12 months!) Tonight went okay, he drank about 3/4 of his sippy, i think in the end he just got a little frustrated, the sippy tip is different than his bottle, and i'm not sure he's able to get the milk out as fast, so maybe i need to keep looking at sippy cups. All i can say is I got to pack up all his bottle stuff tonight, and it FELT GREAT!!!!!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I'm NOT looking forward to cutting out the bottle. Luckily, he drinks out of his straw sippy cups a lot, but still depends on that bottle for his "real" food. I think we are going to cut it out slowly after he turns 12 months. He has to be off of it by September anyway when he goes to MDO twice a week. I don't think it will be that big of a problem. I hope!
April,
What kind of sippy do you have? We cut the bottle out at 12 months and I went through a slew of different sippy cups until I finally found one that worked for us.
It's the Nuby kind but not the one with the wide nipple. It's a little taller than the other Nuby cups and the nipple on it is more "bottle" like. It's a little longer and a little more flexible if you will. Those worked really well for us when we were weaning.
After she'd gotten used to that sippy we switched back to the Gerber kind with the two handles. Now that she's two, I use the Coolster Tumblers by Playtex!
Hope that helps a little!
steph:)
Yep, we went to the ped. today and he told he how to wean Hudson off of his bottle too. He didn't tell us to quit cold turkey though, but instead wants us to not give it to him in bed and give it to him a bit earlier to wind down and then put him down to go to sleep without the bottle. Then he wants us to gradually reduce the amounts of milk that we give him each time until we can basically phase it out and give him water in a sippy before bedtime and that's it. He said that we need to cut at least one serving of milk out because Hudson only truly needs to be getting 12 - 16 oz of milk a day and right now he still ends up having 3 full bottles a day! Sorry for the long rant, but it's nice to be able to "vent" a bit to someone else going through the same thing as you are. :)
Post a Comment