Monday, August 4, 2008

Chicken Salad with Lemon Yogurt Dressing

Our dinners have been pretty boring lately (and Mason's too) even though we eat at home almost every single night. I've been lacking in the creative dinner area. I've been into anything lemon-y lately (partly because lemon is so refreshing with it being SO hot out!) Lately I haven't been able to get enough of lemon yogurt or Caesar Salad with lemon. To even out my indulgence in my cupcake craving last night (see my flickr photos) I thought I must make a super healthy dinner tonight. When Mason went down for a nap so did I (I do this daily when I'm not at work!) but before falling asleep I was channel surfing and came across an old recipe of Martha Stewart Everyday. I've seen the show before but didn't really think anything of it. She was saying how everything they cook has 8 ingredients or less and all fresh ingredients (meaning produce=most things Mason can eat) and one of the things they made today was this Chicken Salad with Lemon Yogurt dressing and it looked really good! I made it tonight and it was SUPER quick and REALLY tasty! Mason definitely gave his approval as he had already snacked alot prior to dinner and then he ate 2 good size servings! yeah! I had JUST enough to put into his lunch for tomorrow. Here's the recipe below- quick, tasty, HEALTHY (and still hearty enough to fill up on!) and easy :-)
PS- I used vine ripened tomatoes which I think are sweeter than plum tomatoes (although I think this recipe would be awesome with cherry or grape tomatoes too!) I also added some avocado to my salad and YUM! did it make it tasty!!

Chicken Salad with Lemon Yogurt Dressing
Ingredients

Serves 4
2 1/2 teaspoons dried tarragon
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
4 bone-in chicken breast halves
1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
4 scallions, thinly sliced
6 ounces mesclun (about 6 cups) * we used chopped up romaine lettuce mixed with some leftover baby spring mix *

Directions

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Rub tarragon, 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 3/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper under chicken skin. Place on a rimmed baking sheet; roast until cooked through, about 30 minutes.
In a large bowl, whisk together yogurt, 2 teaspoons olive oil, remaining 1 teaspoon lemon zest, 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt.
Remove and discard skin and bones from chicken; thinly slice meat lengthwise. Add to bowl along with tomatoes and scallions; toss to combine.
In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining 2 teaspoons lemon juice and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add mesclun; toss to coat. Divide among plates; spoon chicken mixture on top.

No comments: