Thursday, August 21, 2008

Martha gets another star!

Okay I'm not a fan of Martha (mainly because I'm jealous of her crafty empire.) however, I dislike her less today. I was trying to vamp up dinner and in an easy way, and Martha came thru for me once again. I was going to go the easy route with just purchasing a rotisserie chicken, however I noticed several ingredients in their marinade that Mason couldnt eat- so I went with Martha Stewart's suggestion and roasting your own chicken. SO I did it, don't necesarily suggest it. My house is still smokey. First off, they don't package whole chickens like they do the turkeys at Thanksgiving (someone needs to change that!) because i had to pull out the innerds, liver, giblets and other things by hand. And hello, I'm preggo with a gag reflex. Okay so I didn't really pull it all out (okay none of it.) I held the little bird while Gavin did it. Actually, I didn't even really watch, I just made sure he got it all. GROSS. Who wants that stuff anyway?? Don't answer that please.
Let me go on to say how Chickens are nasty birds, or maybe the one I selected was. Poor little guy, or gal, probably a gal, she had an abnormally large tailbone. I feel for her. Also her stuff was hanging all over the place! She had some loose skin that was fryin' like bacon after I lubed her up with butter and stuck the thing in the oven. Maybe it wouldnt have been such a smokey mess (wasn't really that messy) if I cooked it in a turkey bag. But I wanted it to look like Martha's picture in the recipe so I used the roasting rack. The smoke might have not really been from the bird (who knows) but I accidentally pulled out the wrong meat thermometer and partially melted my new one in the oven. It looks pretty cool though, all warped like. So maybe that's what caused the smoke, me cooking the thermometer.

SO ANYWAY, Gavin cut the bird apart (because I'm a total sissy girl and do not like meat on a bone, let alone touching it is gross.) I had some of the yummy tortillas from Central Market, piled it on with some iceberg lettuce (spring mix would have been good too) threw on some spring/green onions, Hoison sauce and the yummy chicken and I was very pleasantly surprised at my dinner. yes it did slightly resemble Moo Shu Chicken, but way healthier! You could probably add some stirfry veggies, but I'm all about the meat cravings right now (and chocolate. Hey Hoisin sauce does resemble it!)
Mason didn't have the wrap, but he did want to try it (sorry dude.) instead he had mmmm'd over the chicken, and had some veggie noodles I made him with a side of granola. (hey its what he wanted!)

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/asian-style-chicken-wraps?autonomy_kw=Rotisserie%20chicken&rsc=header_10

Thanks again Martha for coming thru for me!

Not so pretty chicken (but I did it!)


Easy SUPER yummy delicious wrap pre chicken.


Sorry there's no pretty after/wrap pictures because you would have seen me stuffing my face, and that just isn't pretty.

No comments: