Thursday, May 29, 2008

Allergies suck.

so while we were in CA we were really lax on what Mason ate (bad bad parents!) it was too expensive to buy everything to be able to make all of his stuff from scratch, so basically we let him eat what we ate. His excema flared up and he had more congestion. So we've gotten back into the grind and feeding him what's right. I think I've just been really down about all the food allergies. If it was just wheat or just soy, but BOTH are in everything and I'm just getting frustrated. We FINALLY got back the extensive blood work results and Mason is allergic to just about every tree possible, Soy (being the highest of the food allergies), Wheat, CORN (thats a new one to us! and sadly Mason's favorite veggie, but corn products are in alot of things, so SOMETHING else to cut out), the egg whites are lower on the scale and considered a moderate food allergy, and also CATS. I was in tears thinking i would have to get rid of the beloved cats I've had for almost 10 years. Thankfully the allergist said no need to get rid of them, there's precautions we can take to lower the reaction to pet dander.
Anyway, I just feel beaten down about the food allergies. Its the soy that gets me (and Mason too apparently!) its in literally everything (except fruits and veggies thankfully!) but trying to cut it out is SO hard!! I just pray that he out grows that one REALLy quickly. I can do with the wheat allergy, its not easy, but its SO much easier to cut out than Soy! I've been struggling with things to be able to feed Mason for breakfast- basically he gets his Rice crackers for breakfast with blueberries & "Pirates Booty" not exactly the breakfast of champions, but its the one time of day that he doesnt want all fruit. I can't make him oatmeal because of hte chance of cross contamination with wheat. The last possible thing i thought i could make him was grits (ew) but that has corn in it-cant do that one now! So i think I'm going to have to play around with all these alternative flours and such and see if I can come up with a combination to make him some kind of muffins. I've used the gluten free all purpose flour and its just not right! YUCK! i tried some rice flour in stuff today and it seems better, next I'll try Buckwheat flour and see if its any better.
So enough of my vent, Mason is clearly not starving, but I've just been having a hard time, and I'm acutally getting tired of cooking so much!! (thats a first!) even though I've been back stocking meals for him, its been taking along time and not to mention EXPENSIVE!!
So please say a prayer for Mason that he grows out of these food allergies at a young age and doesnt have to deal with these thru adulthood! I sure don't want to be making these meals for him while he's in college! LOL

1 comment:

Sainz Family said...

It will work out...if you have any questions call me!! I have the same allergies and more!!

Brandi (Sara's friend from Houston)